"
Breathe, keep breathing. Don't lose your nerve" -
Radiohead



Page 353: On Happiness as a Choice

/ Monday, May 8, 2017 /
I posted it one time on my instagram account, about that famous quote "happiness is a choice" that I thought was silly AF. I know many people have posted it to show that somehow, they believe that life can be wonderful if you want to. A simple decision. Summon it because you want it..and voila, you're happy. That you're sad because you allow sadness to affect you.

To be honest, I find it a little bit annoying. One time my friend showed me that quote and my first reaction was "ooh inspiring, tell that to starving people, to people who have been fighting depression for years, to victims of war". Don't get me wrong, I believe that little things can make you happy, like decent meal, the bright sky, a thank you note from your colleague, a hug from your loved one, etc. And it's great to try to do something to motivate yourself and others to stay positive. And you can train yourself to be grateful for those little things. But to oversimplify it by saying that happiness is a choice, it doesn't feel quite right. It’s like belittling other people’s efforts, in a way.

I've involved in a poverty alleviation project in the past, pretty sure those underprivileged people who go to bed every night wondering whether they would be able to get food to munch the next day or not, would punch me in the face if I told them to simply choose happiness if they want to be happy. No, sometimes happiness is like education, it's not a choice, it's a privilege. Luxury even.

0 comments:


Labels

Free counters!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

 
Copyright © 2010 stickybunbook, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger